Saturday, December 04, 2004

How to Lose Weight...

Hi, Azlan Adnan

Finally got it... I found a compelling reason to lose weight. I've been stubborn in getting my eyes checked... you've guessed it... All my family members needs corrective eyewear... I have been asked time and time again to have my eyes checked as I have been seen squinting more lately... I always thought - as long as I can see, I'm ok. I'm the one that does not need a laser pointer in meetings because I'll be only 3 feet away from the projection screen... (heck, even my boss has reprimanded me for not taking serious care of my eyesight)

Then one week back into work from the Raya holidays - I had headaches everyday - so... I went & had them made... my first pair of glasses... at 32 Was advised I have no shortsightedness - just really bad astigmatism.. Just picked up the glasses last night - I can see fine lines now...

Got home, took a shower, got out of the bathroom and thought I'll try on the glasses... turned to the full length mirror and ARGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I no longer feel ok about how I look naked... or clothed for that matter...

ai-ya-ya, I have been seeing the world in soft focused vision! Maybe that's the reason I have always preferred blurred lines rather than solid ones... whatever... I was not in denial, I was just plain blind
for goodness sakes! so... If you were so kind to share some of your secrets on losing weight... I'd be much obliged... I told my sister what I've just discovered...

I think she is still rolling on the floor laughing out loud... this morning...

"New Vision"


Dear "New Vision"

The best book I've read about losing weight is "The Thin Book by the Formerly Fat Psychiatrist," unfortunately now out of print.

The basic principle. calorie in less than calorie out.

How do we accomplish this?

Start exercising. Sweat at least 20 minutes a day. You can do whatever exercise you like as long as you enjoy it and sweat for 20 minutes EVERY day. Don't start on a 3 hr run and collapse when you get home and not exercise again for a week. The concept is each and every day, calorie in less than calorie out. Got it?

When you are ready, increase your sweating to 30 minutes a day. when you make the change doesn't matter ~ a week, a month, whenever. As long as you FEEL ready and don't slack back to 20 minutes. Once you go for 30 minutes for sweating a day, keep it at 30! Remember exercise that doesn't produce sweat doesn't count!

You have to change the way you see food. No more makan from pinggan with nasi and lauk on other dishes.

Get a big plate. Put everything you intend to eat for the meal on that plate. And I mean everything - nasi, lauk, ulam, sambal, sayur, ikan, telur masin, whatever. (Only exceptions are fruits ~ you can eat as much fruit as you like as long as it's not durian lah)

Eat your meal slowly. Savour every bite. Enjoy it thoroughly. At the end of the meal, you are faced with 2 scenarios:

1) everything on the plate finished but you still hungry and want to eat more. SORRY! No way. Wait for next meal. Load up your plate more this time. Learn from the mistake at the last meal.

2) You dah kenyang but ada lagi food on your plate. Learn to adjust what you put on your plate. Put less for next meal.

Actually visualize how much you need to eat for a meal. With practice, you akan ambil cukup2 untuk for the meal. Then when you want to eat less, you can adjust accordingly.

remember calorie in less than calorie out.

So next strategy. Eat less calories. How do you do this without feeling hungry? Simple. Eat high-fibre, low calorie foods.

More fruits and vege. Less carbo, less protein and even less fat.

Visualise you are what you eat. At each meal time, look (no, stare) at your plate and imagine the food you are about to eat becoming part of you. Do you want the lemak in the perut lembu to clog up your arteries? Or do you want the vitamins, enzymes and goodness of fruits and veg to make you healthy? Then eat your meal. Slowly, savour and enjoy every bite.

Develop aversions. Look at fatty food, unhealthy food, fats, cake, chocolate, whatever. You at it until you can see how it will destroy your body, your looks. Feel a distaste and disgust for these foods. Feel the aversion when you put these foods in your mouth. You will stop eating these poisons.

5 Deadly White Sins
Cut down or eliminate these foods:
White Sugar - substitute with raw, unprocessed complex sugars like honey, dates
White Rice - start eating more chappati
White Flour - eat brown bread, chappati, no more roti chanai or tosai
Salt, bad for high blood pressure
Milk, too much hormones and antibiotics in farming nowadays. These stuff will poison our body.

Okaylah. I'll give you more only if you feel you can commit to the above. If cannot, no point I give you more tips.

--
Azlan Adnan, MA International Business and Management
H/P: +60 12-383 1324
Fax: +60 3-2032 1128
E-mail: azlan088@gmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/azlan088
http://azlanadnan.blogspot.com
http://www.lulu.com/azlan

No comments: