Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Typical Keling Behaviour

Question: Ever wondered why kelings are held in such contempt and derision?
Answer: This is typical of the way they behave in public.

Kelings turn graft trial into slanging match

KUALA LUMPUR, 23 May 2006: A keling lawyer and a keling politician shouting at each other in open court; the keling politician's supporters joining in the slanging match; the presiding judge storming out.

It had all the ingredients of a TV drama, but it was not. It happened yesterday at the Ampang court.

Policemen had to calm the two kelings, with Sessions Court judge Noradidah Ahmad returning to the bench an hour later.

The graft trial of former Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) enforcement director Captain (Rtd) Abdul Kudus Ahmad started well enough, but the problem began when his keling counsel M. Manoharan told the court he would be making an application to cite one of his keling witnesses (Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk M. Kayveas) for contempt.

"Abdul Kudus' case began in 2003, and is still ongoing. Nobody, be it a deputy minister or a minister, should comment on the case, as it would be sub judice," Manoharan said.

"However, on Jan 21, it was reported in The Malay Mail that a deputy minister commented on my client's case, which has now been turned into a trial by the media."

At this juncture, Kayveas, who was seated in the public gallery, stood up and began trading barbs with Manoharan, with each calling the other a liar.

Kayveas: "Are you talking about me?"

Manoharan: "You're not allowed to talk from the public gallery. As a witness, you should not be in the courtroom during proceedings."

Manoharan, who was seated at the bar, turned around and both pointed fingers at each other.

Kayveas: "I am a defence witness, not a prosecution witness. You called me here today, so I have the right to be in court. I am waiting for you to call me. Unless, you don't want me here... I am leaving."

Manoharan: "You are not allowed to talk."

Manoharan's assistant R. Kengatharan then stood up to say: "Get out, you deputy minister, get out of the court room."

The judge, who looked agitated, then walked off in a huff.

Kayveas and Manoharan, however, continued trading insults.

Kayveas: "You called me here as your witness, I have the right to be in court."

Manoharan: "You are a hostile witness. Do not think you are in Parliament."

Kayveas: "Don't make me wait here. I have a lot of things to do in Parliament."

Court police officers finally got them to calm down.

Proceedings resumed almost an hour later when Noradidah returned to the bench to enquire if "things had cooled down".

Manoharan: "They have. But his (Kayveas) behaviour just now was unethical. I want to make an application against my witness. He cannot simply stand up as he pleases in court. He is here to assist the court, he is not a court officer. This is not a fair trial. He comes here with his large entourage and threatens me. He was a lawyer, so he should know this is unacceptable. He was disrespectful and threatened me."

Noradidah told Kayveas to give his side of the story.

Kayveas: "I am a defence witness and was called here today but he told me to get out. I wanted to know if he needed me here. There were no threats. Maybe the air-con in the courtroom is loud, which resulted in the raised voices. I did not threaten him. He is a liar."

Manoharan then interjected, asking the judge to order Kayveas to shut up, but the deputy minister did not let up, accusing Manoharan of "creating an issue".

Manoharan: "He is a Number One liar. He kept on threatening us. He is seeking publicity. He has no right to speak. Kayveas should be punished. We will be lodging a police report against him."

Noradidah: "And you still want him as your witness?"

Manoharan: "He is a hostile witness, a ruthless man. We want the court to caution him. He was subpoenaed, so he must attend proceedings."

Earlier, before the drama began, Manoharan had made two applications to the court ~ for a retrial and to cite Kayveas for contempt based on The Malay Mail report.

Copyright 2003-2006 Azlan Adnan Legal Notice

No comments: