Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Herniated ("Slipped") Disk

Just a short blog post to update everyone on the progress of my herniated disk ~ what laymen incorrectly refer to as a "slipped" disk.

At about 11.45 am on Thursday, November 8, 2007 I sustained a left lower back injury while lifting some heavy stuff into my car boot. I paid a visit my chiropractic physician, Dr Zafer Yama, at the Chiropractic Speciality Center in Plaza Damansara at about noon the next day. Upon examining me, he diagnosed a herniated disk between my L4 and L5 vertebrae.

I had some Interferential stimulation to reduce oedema, some ultrasound stimulation to prevent and break down the formation of scar tissue and, of course, a chiropractic manipulation.

In addition, I continued with my dietary supplements of glucosamine 500 mg b.d. and chondroitin 400 mg b.d. which I have been taking since my October 19 fall at the KTM Serdang Station. Glucosamine and chondroitin are prominent precursors in the biochemical synthesis of joint tissue, cartilage and intervertebral disks. Both are widely used dietary supplements for the treatment of osteoarthritis.

In the evening, I received a Releasing statement from Heiko Niedememeyer, who had studied under the founder of the Lindwell Releasing Technique, Dr E. E. "Isa" Lindwall (1919-2007) and so I made that Releasing statement.

Also, last night I slept on my ionising mat on my traditional Malay wooden sleeping platform (a solid meranti pangkin).

As I write this at about 9 am on Saturday, November 10 I am in no acute pain, just experiencing some dull soreness and stiffness in my left lumbar region that should go away in a few days together with any residual swelling.

I am NOT taking any painkillers or medications at all.

Copyright 2003-2007 Azlan Adnan Legal Notice

No comments: