Monday, January 05, 2004

About my religious ideology...
Special thanks to Kristi Dehana Gronvist-Hager, Jasmine Jane John, Rizchelle F. Sampang and Samantha James who have, at various times, inspired me to write this social commentary.


Let me first explain the strict religious laws we have in Malaysia: If a Muslim marries a non-Muslim, the non-Muslim party must convert to Islam beforehand. Before Muslims can marry, they have to attend an Islamic Marriage Course. Before non-Muslims can convert to Islam, they have to attend an Islamic Conversion Course.

However, in many Muslim countries, like for example Lebanon, Egypt and Indonesia, the non-Muslim spouse need NOT convert. So this means, if (hypothetically) I were to get married to a non-Muslim who doesn't convert, we can't live in Malaysia. The marriage would also have to be a "secret" from the Malaysian authorities or else I would be arrested upon return to Malaysia. The sentence may be a fine of thousands of ringgit or jail or whipping or all three. Not sure about the quantum, but its a very serious offence.

Its just the way the Islamic religious law is in Malaysia. The rationale is that they want to make sure there is no "half-breed" children who are neither Muslim, Other Religion or Confused. Their solution is to have only Muslim children and this is how they make the law to ensure that happens.

To be absolutely honest with you, although I am a practising Muslim, I am liberal and progressive. My interpretation of it is very modern and forward-looking. I am a non-Traditionalist. I am a Fundmentalist in that I go back to what actually the Quran requires of me and interpret it in a rational and pragmatic way. I always question myself what is the essense or reason for a law and interpret it the way I feel my logic tells me is right for this time and age. I respect the essence and not the form. I do not blindly follow tradition. I do not dress as a pseudo-Arab or wear the serban, or other badges of religiousity.

Many other Muslims, however, venerate the form, handed down blindly for generations without understanding the essence. Sometimes the form is cultural and not religious in origin but they confuse the two.

An example is that I keep a dog, Speedy. Many uninformed Muslims are horrified that I do. Islam never said we, as Muslims, cannot keep a dog. It just says that we should avoid letting a dog's saliva come into contact with our skin. If it does, we have to wash it with clay (in those days soap wasn't even invented yet, so clay was their idea of "soap.") There is a fatwa (religious ruling), that not many of these traditionalists are aware of, that says we can now use soap instead of clay. I wash my hands with soap and water when I come into contact with Speedy. I also train her not to slobber over me.

Now the essence of this business about dogs and their saliva has to do with disease and cleanliness. Everyone knows dogs carry ticks and fleas, just as cats do. So I don't let Speedy in the house. This is where I draw the line. I also bathe her once a week and use anti-tick shampoo.

There are non-Muslims who keep house-dogs and some even let them in bed with them. I'm not even talking about bestiality. This is unacceptable to me. Not because I am a Muslim per se but purely on hygiene grounds. My religion serves by providing broad guidelines. Only by understanding the essense or rationale behind these religious guidelines can we interpret them into practical rules by which we live our lives.

I once wrote a poem (see my second blog entry for Saturday, November 08, 2003) saying that what I seek in life is Faith, Knowledge and Love. And as serendipity would have it, at last Friday's prayers, the sermon was about our duty to seek Faith and Knowledge. (Love is very much downplayed in Islam, although it plays a central part in Christianity where it is previously known as Charity. In fact, Christ is known as the Prophet of Love.)

Anyway, the gist of the sermon is as follows: God created Humans to be his steward (kalifah or caliph) on Earth; to care for the Earth on God's behalf. To this end, God has given Humans capabilities far more than Animals. One such "enhanced" ability is the ability to learn. Although Animals, too, have the ability to learn, the Human capability is far more.

It is our duty and obligation to learn, so that we have the Knowledge to perform our role as God's stewards on Earth and also obtain Knowledge to gain us a place in the Hereafter. Knowledge in itself is neutral; it may be used for good or for evil. That is why we need Faith. Faith in God and in the Hereafter will guide us; how we should use the Knowledge we have gained.

Of course, as I mentioned before, the sermon was silent on the subject of Love. I can write a whole treatise on the subject of Love and its many different types. There's a whole spectrum from Platonic Love, Romantic Love, Erotic Love and more. But I'll leave that for another day.

No comments: