Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Salatul Istikharah



Salatul Istikharah


With many thanks to Hadiyah Tayammum Mohamed for originally posting this at the myspace.com Bulletin Board.


This Salah is offered to seek Allah's guidance in any matter where you cannot be sure which is the best course of action to take. Only Allah knows the consequences of our actions, and which choices are best for us both in this life in the Akhirah.


You first perform two rak'ahs of Sunnah or Nafl Salah, with the intention of making Istikharah, then say a special du'a'. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) used to instruct his companions to pray for quidance (Istikharah) in all their concerns just as he would teach them a Surah from the Qur'an. He (PBUH) said:


"If any of you intends to undertake a matter, then let him pray two rak'ahs other than the Fard (i.e. Sunnah or Nafl), after which he should say:


Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi 'ilmika wa astaqdiruka biqudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlikal 'azim, fa innaka taqdiru wa la aqdiru wa ta'lamu wa la a'lamu wa anta 'allamul ghuyub. Allahumma in kunta ta'lamu anna hadhal amra (mention your matter here) khairul li fi dini wa ma'ashi wa 'aqibati amri faqdurhu li wa yassirhu li thumma barik li fihi, wa in kunta ta'lamu anna hadhal amra sharrul li fi dini wa ma'ashi wa 'aqibati amri fasrifhu 'anni wasrifni 'anhu waqdur lil khaira haithu kana thumma ardini bih.


O Allah, I seek Your guidance through Your knowledge, and ability through Your power, and beg of Your infinite bounty; for You have power and I have none, You know and I know not, and You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allah, if in Your knowledge this matter (mention your matter here) is good for my faith, for my livelihood and for the outcome of my affairs, then decide it for me and make it easy for me and bless me therein; but if in Your knowledge this matter is bad for my faith, for my livelihood and for the outcome of my affairs, then turn it away from me, and turn me away from it, and decide for me the good wherever it may be, and cause me to be pleased with it. (al-Bukhari, Muslim)


Once you have made Istikharah, Allah may cause you to keep firm to your choice or to change your mind. After you have gone through with whatever decision you finally made, you should trust that Allah led you to what is best, and should have no regret. "Then when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah. Certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)." (Surah Ali 'Imran 3:159)


The aforementioned Islamic Terms:

Salah

The five compulsory daily prayers offered in a particular way at set times.

Allah

The proper mame of God. Allah is the Maker of all creatures. He is not just the God of Muslims, but of all human kind.

Akhirah

Life-after-death. It includes the Day of Judgement and the never-ending life-after-death.

Rak'ah

(pl. Raka'at) A 'unit' of Salah, each Salah having two, three or four rak'ahs.

Sunnah

(pl. Sunan) The example of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in what he did, said and approved.

Nafl

Optional.

Du'a'

A supplication to Allah, or asking Allah for favour, blessing and mercy.

Muhammad (PBUH)

The final messenger of Allah to mankind. He was Muhammad bin 'Abdullah.

Surah

(pl. Suwar) A chapter of the Qur'an.

Qur'an

The sacred book of Muslims, the final book of guidance from Allah, sent down to Muhammad (PBUH) through the angel Jibra'il (Gabriel) over a period of 23 years.

Jibra'il

The angel (Gabriel) who brought revelation from Allah. (2:97-98).

Tell Them That I Am Near

"When my servants question you about me, tell them that I am near. I answer their prayers when they call on me; let them answer my call. Let them trust in me, that they may be guided along the path of righteousness."
-Qur'an, Al-Baqara, Surah 2:186