Monday, February 06, 2006

Thai protesters demand Thaksin resignation

Tens of thousands of protesters have held a rally in the Thai capital, Bangkok, demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

They voiced their anger over a US$1.9 billion business deal involving Mr Thaksin's family, accusing of him of corruption.

Mr Thaksin - who says he has done nothing wrong - has insisted he will only resign if asked by the king.

In his weekly radio address, he said he was confident that most Thais wanted him to remain in office.

In his Saturday address, Mr Thaksin was defiant, rejecting resignation demands.

"If I was to resign, that would mean that I betrayed more than 19 million voters who elected me," he said.

"Only one person can tell me to resign: his majesty the king. If the king just merely whispers to me, 'Thaksin, you resign', then I will resign right away."

Mr Thaksin still enjoys considerable support in rural Thailand and has survived such crises before.

Copyright 2003-2006 Azlan Adnan Legal Notice

No comments: