Friday, November 24, 2006

Taoist Temple demolished in Penang

I didn't quite read the piece in Malaysia Kini about this issue because I can't read Chinese but got the gist of it looking at the photos.

I find this so sad. But Malay politicians ALWAYS play the religious card when they want to garner votes from their community.

And its not always about brandishing a keris and clamouring for Chinese blood. I was once in an UMNO meeting at PWTC where a Chief Minister was bragging about how he refused to permit Christians to build Churches in his State and how he blocked manoeuvres to acquire land to build temples for other religions. The way he was going on, he was trying to portray himself as some kind of (Malay/Muslim) hero.

Of course, me being me, I stood up and asked him point blank wouldn't it be better for society as a whole if we gave all the communities more places of worship? Wouldn't he rather have more God-fearing citizens? Wouldn't it be sad if people turned to crime or drugs because they missed out on some religious up-bringing because his government had denied the building of churches or temples?

His response was so idiotic and typical of the myopia Malay politicians possess that I won't bother to repeat it here. Suffice it to say, we do have some classic idiots in positions of power in Malaysia. That's the Real Malaysian Tragedy.

Copyright 2003-2006 Azlan Adnan Legal Notice

No comments: