Tuesday, June 01, 2004

At the Dentist's

At the Dentist's
by Azlan Adnan
A short story inspired by Shahliza Anuar (Baby)
Klinik Zahida, Kampung Tunku
March 19, 2003


8.12 pm In the waiting room. We had both skipped dinner. She was in too much pain to eat anything. I was in sympathy and hadn't eaten either. Sympathetic pain: whole volumes have been written on this phenomenon.

8.45 pm She was sleeping, or, at least, trying to, on the waiting room chair. She had a tiring day at work. Her cell phone rang. It was her office. She still needed to go back to the office to sort out some loose ends. She settled down again, eyes shut. I was unashamedly staring at her... again. She looked so adorable, I felt like holding her tight in my arms. It was obvious, from the frowns on her forehead, that she was in considerable pain. I felt like giving her forehead a massage but I had only just known her a few weeks. I couldn't just touch her. We don't have that kind of relationship; but how I wished we did. I just looked at her, admiring her closed eyes, her exquisitely-formed lips, her finely-chiseled cheeks, the highlights in her hair, her unusual ear lobes, and the stray lock of hair falling over her right eye. Her firm and curvy breasts, taut thighs and sexy bottom in her tight black jeans started me fantasizing...

9.10 pm I was awaken from my reverie. It was her turn on the dental chair. It was a lower molar. Root canal surgery was required. She needed to take antibiotics for the swelling to come down and come back again in a week's time. Nothing could be done tonight due to the swelling and the acute pain. It would take three more visits. She wanted the tooth extracted and be done with it. The dentist explained that she was young (21 last October) and that an early extraction of her molar would cause her jaw to resorb and eventually make her look old prematurely. I hope she listens. She's such a good-looking babe and it would be a pity if her stunning looks were tarnished. But she has a stubborn streak and an independent mind... Funny thing though, I like that in a woman, the independent mind, I mean.

9.30 pm It was raining cats and dogs when we left with two packets of medications. An antibiotic and some heavy-duty painkillers. The dentist hadn't charged for tonight's consultation, nor for the meds. He's a friend of mine. This was a special favour, seeing her without an appointment. We drove in silence for miles. She ran through some red lights. It was obvious her mind was elsewhere. Finally, I broke the silence and told her what the dentist had explained to me: it would cost about $300 altogether for the next three visits. She could pay $50 to begin with and pay the rest in installments, again, as a special favour to a friend of a friend. (I had told him privately that she was in financial difficulties.) She replied she might as well have gone to her company's panel dentist but her company wouldn't pay for root canal surgery. I knew what she was thinking: "Get an extraction and be done with it." I had no response but "Teeth are for life." It seemed lame, considering the pain she had gone through these past few weeks. I could have told her she shouldn't have put it off for so long, that she should have gone to see a dentist earlier, as soon as she had realized something was amiss, but I bit my lips. There was no point in antagonizing her. Or crying over spilt milk.

10.08 pm It was still raining heavily when we reached my lane. I told her she could call me next week if she needed me to accompany her to the dentist again. "Take care and don't forget to take your meds," I blurbed the obvious. Thinking of nothing else to say, I got out of her car, a little reluctantly. She had dropped me off a little distance from my house at the end of the cul de sac, so that she could turn her car round easily. And so, I had to walk the last few yards in the light drizzle. I didn't mind that. I just wished there was more I could do for her.

Isn't it funny how when you're in love, nothing's too much to do for your heart's delight?

Copyright 2003-2004 Azlan Adnan Legal Notice

No comments: