Saturday, November 29, 2003

My Age

I prefer to befriend young ladies in their late teens or twenties. Some young ladies on the Internet have a problem with that and a few have even sent me email calling me a "Dirty Old Man" and "You are Ancient."

It's just a preference, as in, if I had a choice. Just like I also prefer to befriend intelligent (IQ >130), attractive (top 5% world class beauties), articulate (we can communicate in English without translation services), sincere and caring young ladies.

Other men may have other preferences. That's their choice. Who are we to criticize theirs?

There are, evidently, young ladies who prefer not to befriend men my age. That is fine. It's their choice. But, really, it's not necessary to be rude or practise name-calling. Don't you think so?

Besides, I look and behave a lot younger than I am. Almost everyone is surprised to learn my age. They think I am 30 or 32. It's in my genes. When people meet my mother (who is almost 70), they assume she's my sister. She certainly looks like she could be.

I could lie about my age and be done with it. Then my age may not be an issue with these ladies, but I'd rather not. I'd rather they get to know me and appreciate me for what I am. Many do and the issue of my age is totally irrelevant. We have common interests (poetry, writing, photography, whatever) and we enjoy sharing our work or pursuing these activities together.

Like I said, my age doesn't even come into the picture.

Many of you may very well ask why do I prefer young ladies? Well, for a start, women my age are mostly already married. Besides, women my age, especially when they look it, are embarrassed to be seen with me--an ostensibly "younger" man. They'd much prefer the company of an older man, or at least one who looks older than they do.

For God's sake, is it really too much to ask for a friendship where we could have some good clean fun pursuing common interests? With someone young and pretty, vivacious and carefree? Someone intelligent enough to cross swords with, but that not being the sole basis of our friendship? Someone adorable to look at? With a face as in the Malay saying "pandang tak jemu?" Is that really too much to ask for?

No comments: