Monday, November 17, 2003

went to the doctor this morning. sat down. told him i had pyrexia and delirium. some sort of urti, since 5 am saturday. told him i had no appetite and had lost a lot of weight which, in itself, is no bad thing. my throat probably inflamed or injected. ear-ache, left ear. he asked if i had any discharge from the ear. i said no. he had a peep with his whatever-you-call-it-scope. said he could only see ear wax, cheeky bugger. he took a tongue depressor and had a look at my throat. injected - as opposed to inflamed - with meant my salivary glands were infected, too. which explained the loss of appetite. the nurse stuck a thermometer under my tongue, but as luck would have it, my temperature was normal then. shit, why isn't it the worse whenever i see a doctor? he decided to give me some antibiotic cover to prevent opportunistic infections. penglobe? no. amoxicillin? no. ceporex. a 4th generation cephalosporin broad spectrum wonder drug. 2 tablets 3 times a day for a week. 42 tablets in all. i liked that - no fasting for a week. haha. but seriously, my water intake is so low, it would be daft to fast. and i'm not eating anything anyway. he prescribed some pcm - paracetamol (panadol) for the fever. asked if there's any stronger anti-pyretic he could give me because the delirium and recurrent dreams were the pits. bruphen, he said. isn't that an analgesic, i asked? he said, well, yes, but brings down fever as well. decided to stick with the pcm. he asked if i had a cough. actually, i didn't but dreaded dragging myself to the clinic again in case one developed so i said only just started this morning - so he gave me some black cough mixture. at the pharmacy, the dispenser was being mean - gave me only 15 tablets of pcm. i could do with a lot more. i finished 10 since saturday. but all in all, its not bad for free treatment at the poliklinik kommuniti tanglin. foc because i'm a blood donor, or else i'd have to fork out a hefty $1. don't you just love living in malaysia?

~ • ~

No comments: