Saturday, March 20, 2004

The Diary

contributed by Maybelle

As I have written elsewhere, "...I believe communication based on mutual respect and honesty is key to any relationship..." The following short story exemplifies what I mean by what happens when there is no open communications between friends and things go all pear-shaped and awry...

Monday
I was so excited to go to school today as I'll be seeing my suitor and secret crush, Charlie, again. But then, the whole day he just smiled as my close guy friend, Carlo, cheered me up. He didn't even talk to me, he just smiled at me from afar.

Tuesday
I was thinking Charlie might approach me now, as he should, since he's courting me. But then, the
whole day he just smiled as my close guy friend, Carlo, cheered me up. He didn't even talk to me,
he just smiled.

Wednesday
I didn't want to talk to anyone, not even Carlo who cares so much for me, since I was pissed off at Charlie. As usual, the whole day he just smiled as my close guy friend, Carlo, cheered me up. He didn't even talk to me, he just smiled.

Thursday
I went to school as usual. Carlo kept cheering me up. I was so pissed that I shouted at him and told him to just leave me alone. And Charlie? The whole day he just smiled. He didn't even talk to me, he just smiled. My close guy friend, Carlo, tried to ignore me the whole day.

Friday
I received a note with the words:

"You just don't know how much I love you,
I know it's impossible for you to like me,
but I just want to let you know how amazing you are.
"

Even though there's no signature from the sender or even a name, I was sure it was from Charlie. And the whole day he just smiled. He didn't even talk to me, he just smiled. My close guy friend, Carlo, tried to ignore me the whole day.

Ten years later...
Here I am at my close friend Carlo's wedding with Charlie as my date. I never enjoyed Charlie's company, Carlo still rocks my socks. But it was too late, he's getting married. And besides, he's too good for me. He would never love a person like me.

Before the ceremony, Carlo came up to me and asked, "What is that paper you're holding?"

It was the note from Charlie, 10 years ago, "Oh, the love letter from Charlie saying how much he loved me. It's been 10 years, you know."

Then, Carlo bowed his head and tears fell from his eyes and said, "You just dont know how much I love you. I was the one who gave you that note 10 years ago. It wasn't Charlie. I wanted to tell you in person, but I was afraid you'd reject me, and our friendship, forever. I was too afraid to lose you."

I started to cry. I just said, "I loved you, too. All this time, it was you. But I thought that you only see me as this friend."

Carlo whispered to me, "I'm sorry. It's too late."

And he went back to his bride as Charlie asked me what happened.

"It all ends today," and I just cried.

Note
I like this story but for one nagging loose end. Why would our unnamed female protagonist bring the note to Carlo's wedding? Wouldn't she had shown it to Charlie earlier? And deduced its author?

No comments: