Friday, March 12, 2004

Midnight Musings



Midnight Musings

I had a dinner meeting with some clients Thursday evening and was introduced to a babe, an architect in her mid-twenties. She's articulate, with a ready and winsome smile, excellent dentition, intelligent deep-set eyes, and fair. Tall (165 to 168 cm) for a Malay (but could possibly be of mixed race), she has well-defined cheek-bones, a hybrid endomorph/mesomorph physique and is well-endowed too. Definitely a top 5% world-class beauty. When she mentioned she grew up in Klang, I recalled some of my favourite South Indian eateries there, which she knew; and even mentioned the name of one of them.

Although we had never met before, she let on that she had come across me on the Net ~ but couldn't remember if it was My Friendship Site, My Blog or My Fan Club. She just remembered my photo ("Oh, sure!") and had recognised me. Ah, my reputation precedes me.

Talking about reputation, it appears that I've become a bit of a minor celebrity in the Securities Commission, with the whole of the SC, it seems, discussing whether I'm real, a fake or just a persona. Apparently, they've been forwarding the URL of My Friendship Site to each other and having heated debates ~ which explains a couple of miss calls I received from the general line of the SC a few weeks ago. I guess the caller wanted to find out if I was for real but didn't really know what to say. When I called back, of course, the operator answered, but since I didn't know who had called, that was where the trail went cold.

A source reliably informs me that a gaggle of ladies behaving like schoolgirls had met at the Coffee Bean in Ampang Point lunchtime last Saturday. They had brought along pages printed from My Friendship Site and were having a raucous time pouring over my prose. It was almost too unreal to believe ~ some of these ladies were middle-aged and married ~ and, yet, they were enthusiastically discussing my thoughts on relationships, love and romance like a study group going over their notes on Hardy or Byron.

As you know, I get my fair share of hate-mail ~ "Ah, the price of fame!" ~ the majority of which are from Malay boyz. I hesitate to call them "men" because they don't appear to be mature enough to deserve to be called "men." Some of them are friends or colleagues of my lady friends, who were appalled to note that these boyz ~ their friends ~ could say such nasty things about me, someone they hadn't met or even know. They say that this behaviour is typical of Malay boyz ~ and a particularly virulent specimen is a final-year English literature student at the International Islamic University. I'm sad that a literature student, of all students, could be so juvenile.

I write what I write. I make no apologies for this. If you do not like what I write, that is fine. After all, I am not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read my essays. You do not have to read them (I doubt my blog is set reading text). It's a free world. If anyone thinks what I write is wrong, they're most welcome to start a blog of their own and write (if, indeed, these boyz are capable of articulating what transpires inside those silly heads of theirs) to correct me.

Freedom of expression ~ one of the basic tenets of democracy ~ means I am free to write (predicated by the laws of copyright and of libel) what I desire. They may not agree with what I write, but I sincerely doubt that they are willing to defend to their death, my freedom to express it.

This is a sad state of affairs, indeed, and not only a dismal reflection on the state of our education system, but also of our society and the values it purports to uphold. And a couple of months of National Service is unlikely to put that right, either.



Note:
Also kecoh sikit kat www.wolverinemalaya.com as you can see:
... din_y65: azlan adnan sape nih??apsal kecoh pasal azlan adnan nih?? alan si kumis aku kenal ...

No comments: