Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Same-Sex Marriages

I think it's remarkably "inside-the-box" to assume that there are only two genders. I have met people with XXY chromosomes and a man with ambiguous genitals. He had a pear shaped-body and... I think I shouldn't go into the details. I'm not even talking about transexuals in the usual prurient sense.

Suffice it to say that specimens of a "third gender" exist. This poses interesting questions.

Are they allowed to marry? Or not?

Do they have to be "forced" to become either a "male" or a "female" in order to marry?

Reminds me of the days of old when eunuchs were commonplace. They weren't allowed to marry, were they?

Is not the right to marry a right guaranteed in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights? But only if you are male or female but not neither?

I'm just stimulating some "out-of-the-box" thinking here. Not being difficult. Of course not.

Eman of AquaCool's Response:
I do agree with you, the "third gender" as you call it does really exist, but it's not a normal phenomenon. I believe in the balance of female and male in everything in nature, anything else, to me, is out of order. "Third gender" people won't lead normal lives, therefore something should be done in order to offer them a balanced life. I find the word "forced" a bit improper, I prefer the word "choose". They should choose to become one of either sexes to lead normal healthy lives, that's what I think.

The fact that they are not "normal" phenomena, or are not statistically significant, does not invalidate the fact that they do exist. Surely, Society needs to accommodate these human beings and not force them to "choose" the lesser of two evils.

Enough said about those who were born sexually ambiguous and have a genetic basis for being so. What about the gays, lesbians, transexuals and transvestites? Are they to be relegated to the dregs of society?

What if Prince Charles were gay? Would he be accepted as the King of England?

Are transexuals and transvestites only good as sex workers in the pleasure industry?

Do gays and lesbians really have a case for being what they are?

The fact that a religion may be silent on homosexuality issues does not necessarily mean that it condemns it. Or does it?

No comments: