Monday, May 10, 2004

LUNCH AT suchan

LUNCH AT suchan

I decided to give suchan another chance today so I went there for lunch with an oral surgeon friend. The fly that had so annoyed me on my last two visits was not in residence, thankfully. The stench from the sewer was still as over-powering as ever, however.

I told the staff that served us (she seemed to have some grey matter between her ears) to get the powdered chlorine stuff that is used to clean swimming pools and to sprinkle it into the sewer. Basically, it's the same vicious stuff you find in Vim, except in Vim it's highly buffered and adulterated.

Anyway, I had a roasted tomato soup while my friend had a wild mushroom soup. Both came with a warm wholemeal roll and were excellent. My friend's lasagna was tasty although he said something about there being some vegetables in it as well. His usual experience (DeliFrance at Universiti Hospital, sorry, University of Malaya Medical Centre ~ what a bloody mouthful!) was ground beef without any vegetables.

My Caesar Salad was passable as a salad but there was nothing in it that made it particularly Caesarean. Instead of croutons, there were coin-sized pieces of garlic bread. And the characteristic dressing made of raw eggs was all but missing.

The Explosion ~ a chocolate meringue confection ~ was no great shakes but my friend's Banofee cake was as good as it was the previous night. Its sweetness coming from the bananas rather than raw sugar. The Strawberry Pavlova I so raved about on Friday was nowhere to be seen but there was a slice of Apple pie of that vintage left over.

For drinks, I had an iced lemon and my friend iced lemon tea. I had specifically asked for mine to be sieved as I hate citrus seeds in my drinks ~ surely "the best restaurant in Malaysia" can afford a one-dollar plastic sieve? My lime drink last night was spoilt by the proliferation of limau kasturi seeds. Anyway, my iced lemon drink came with the token one lemon seed. They had to leave one just to rile me up, didn't they?

RM80 for two pax is a bit on the steep side for lunch every day but its okay for the odd special occasion at "the best restaurant in Malaysia."

Copyright 2003-2004 Azlan Adnan Legal Notice

No comments: