Monday, May 10, 2004

MOTHER'S DAY II

MOTHER'S DAY

My gf and I took my mom and my step-dad to suchan, a restaurant in Petaling Jaya that has won Best Restaurant of the Year Awards for several years in the row now. Would have brought my gf's mom but she flew off to Jordan and Syria on a personal pilgrimage of sorts just the night before.

It was my second time there and on both occasions, there was a damn fly that kept buzzing us and wouldn't just go away. There reason for this is that suchan is built over a stinking sewer. The stench is such that nobody ever dines in the alfresco area outside.

And although we were in the air-conditioned area inside clear glass walls, that damn fly made a nuisance of itself by not landing and offering itself to be hentamed. (Hentam is a beautiful Tamil word meaning "to put to an abrupt end." It's also been assimilated into the Malay language).

Anyway, being a gourmet, I thought the food wasn't all that great. My Alfredo linguini was passable ~ I can make a more decent one in a larger portion myself. The Vietnamese beef noodles is so-so but not as great as the Vietnamese beef ball noodles at Red Bull in Kota Kinabalu. The Thai spring roll was stodgy and tasteless despite its insipid peanut sauce. I can't even remember what my mom had, it couldn't have been that great if it isn't even memorable. (I remember now, she had Thai Laksa, ostensibly the restaurant's signature dish.)

But the desserts are out of this world. When I went there for tea last Friday with a friend, the Strawberry Pavlova and Tiramisu were to die for. Last night, the Banofee cake and Peach and Banana crumble were world-class.

Prices weren't too bad. RM122 for four pax at what is ostensibly the Best Restaurant in Malaysia for four years running is reasonable. Although how the reviewers (and the Health Inspectors from MPPJ) missed the stench from the sewer and the flies is beyond me.

Copyright 2003-2004 Azlan Adnan Legal Notice

No comments: